The Writerly Habit

This blog is about my struggles to get into the habit of writing regularly.

How Do?

So I started this blog called the writerly habit even though I don't have one. At least not yet. I have a bookshelf full of writing books but only a few notebooks filled in my lifetime. Usually, I get a new blank book and only write on a couple of pages before casting it aside. It's sad really, I'll do anything to keep from writing. I use the excuse that reading about it is just as good. It really isn't.

So far, I only have one submission under my belt. I also have the lovely email rejection "letter" that went along with it. Of course I did send them an SASE...wonder what happened to my stamp? Did they sell the whole lot of them and move to Tahiti? Possible. Come to think of it, I have that on my other computer. I'll post that here tomorrow.

I did NaNoWriMo last year, it was an unofficial one in with my friends/family. After that I took a Creative Writing course at the local community college. I got a few excellent pieces out of it but ran out of steam towards the end. I got a great review of my portfolio from my teacher, but even this didn't stop me from entering creative hell. I haven't written anything since my class. Well, that's not entirely true. I've written a few pages but I haven't completed anything. That's why I started this blog, to post my struggles with developing the writerly habit.

So what am I currently up to? Not much, waiting for my DigiMemo to come in on Tuesday. It's a sweet notepad that will convert my writing into typed text. It's another magic cure that I think will help me write regularly. Hopefully I stay fascinated with it long enough to get some real work done. I want to use it for the official NaNoWriMo this November. In the meantime, I am working on a prompt for The First Line. By working on it, I mean I've managed to write the prompt in my notebook. I feel so accomplished.

0 comments: