The Writerly Habit

This blog is about my struggles to get into the habit of writing regularly.

Long Time No Post - Lots of Happenings

Well, I haven't posted in a while. That is in direct correlation of how much writing I've been getting done. I've been painting every day, so that's a step up. Now if I can just add writing into the mix I'll be good to go. I'm debating about doing NaNoWriMo next month. That's just the lazy writer in me talking. Must keep will power.

So what's been happening in the literary world? Anne Enright won the Man Booker Prize for her novel The Gathering. Here's a synopsis from the Man Booker web site: The Gathering is a family epic. It is also a sexual history: tracing the line of hurt and redemption through three generations - starting with the grandmother, Ada Merriman - showing how memories warp and family secrets fester. This is a novel about love and disappointment, about thwarted lust and limitless desire, and how our fate is written in the body, not in the stars. Sounds like a great read! Be sure to check it out.

Doris Lessing of the UK was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. Lessing is most famous forThe Golden Notebook which had a huge impact on the feminist movement in the early 1960's. I haven't personally read it...but it's now on my list.


Doris Lessing


The latest hubbub is Jessica Seinfield vs. Missy Chase Lapine. They both wrote books about sneaking healthy food into your kids favorite meals. Problem is, as it has been pointed out, Seinfield's book is on the same subject matter and features very similar recipes. Ms. Lapine's book was published first, now this could be just coincidence but the plot thickens. Lapine had pitched her book to Harper Collins twice before being picked up by another publisher. That was the same month that Ms. Seinfield signed up with Harper Collins. Again, it could all be coincidence, but I can see why many people are suspecting otherwise. I do find it funny that Jerry Seinfield stated that his wife was obviously innocent of any wrongdoing because she isn't out for fame or fortune. Now mind you, she may not need the money, I'm sure they're load but who doesn't publish a book with fame in mind? As far as I know, she was a nobody before all this happened. Her only claim to fame being her high profile spouse so how could one say she isn't out for fame? She was previously a public relations exec for Tommy Hilfiger, but I'd never heard of her. I don't know, maybe I'm being presumptuous here, but I think if if you're not out for fame and fortune then put the information out to the public for free via a blog or webstie. Just my humble opinion here folks, I don't want to piss anyone off. Read the full article at the NY Times and decide for yourself.

That's all from me now. I hope to get some writing done tomorrow before I go to my Sister's house. Wish me luck!

0 comments: