The Writerly Habit

This blog is about my struggles to get into the habit of writing regularly.

S.L. Rottman

Today I managed to finish my 1000 words, a poem, and my note. I've learned that I really need to get it done in the morning, before I start anything else. Otherwise, getting to the final word count is a slow process. I have to drag it out of me at times. I haven't done any writing besides these free writings. I have started a poem a day exercise. So far I've written two pretty good ones. For me poetry just seems a lot easier to write. It's always been that way. I used to write tons of horrible angst written poetry in my teenage years. I love poetry but I am also afraid of it. You hear that there is no money in writing, but poetry is especially notorious for this. Also, it's very subjective. Some will love it and some will hate it. There doesn't seem to be as much of a middle ground as there is with fiction. Maybe it's just me. I'll post my poems in a few days. I'm so tired now, I can barely think straight.

My note today was to S.L. Rottman, author of the novel Hero (and many other YA novels). She was my English teacher when I was in junior high. She had a group of her students proof read the novel and give feedback before it was published. I was chosen to be a part of this group. I can't remember if it was simply because I volunteered or that I was chosen because of my work in class. I remember feeling very proud to be a part of this group. Her novel was wonderful, the ending made me cry. She had a book signing out here in Colorado Springs a few years back (probably six by now) but I missed her. I wonder if she'll even remember me. This note was a little hard to write, my ego is truly on the line here. My internal editor is telling me that she won't know who I am, or will wonder exactly how much she could've inspired me as I haven't published a thing yet. It took me a while yes, but I'm out here doing it now. It's one thing to put yourself out there for a total stranger, quite another to do such for someone who knows you. We'll see how it goes.

S.L. Rottman

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing! Lucky you that Mrs. Rottman was one of your teachers at any point in your academic career. I've been teaching her novel Hero since 2000 and it's our favorite part of the curriculum. I'd like to get in touch with her and see if she has any tips on how I could more effectively teach the novel! Back to you -- write every day, explore different forms of poetry and every possible genre. Best of luck to you! SM