The Writerly Habit

This blog is about my struggles to get into the habit of writing regularly.

The Hobbit Director Finalized...Finally


It's been five long years since The Return of the King was released by New Line Cinema, thus completing the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm sure all of us hard core Tolkien fans couldn't help but wonder, the first time we saw Bilbo in The Fellowship of the Ring, whether or not The Hobbit was going to follow. There were rumors for a long time, but due to some financial issues, the project was put on the back burner. Then there were rumors as to who would direct it. Now those rumors can be squashed, Guillermo del Toro has in fact signed on to direct what will be a two film version of The Hobbit, with Peter Jackson as executive director. He will be moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work on the films. Hopefully, we'll have the first installment by 2010.

I remember reading The Hobbit in the seventh grade. I loved it so much I read it twice. That was the first time I could remember reading a book and then watching the film. Of course in this case it was the 1977 animated version. I might read the book again, just to get ready. I hate to say it, I love J.R.R. Tolkien, but I found it so hard to get through The Lord of the Rings. Once I got to the council of Elrond, I would just fall asleep. To me, The Hobbit was so much livelier.

Anyhow, I've been working on a new novel. Right now I'm mostly making notes, researching, and outlining. I just moved, well I'm still in the process of moving, so that has taken up a lot of my time. I'm hoping to finish moving and unpacking this weekend so I can really devote some time to it. The whole college thing is up in the air. I wasn't expecting to move out so quickly, so I had to drain all of my savings to do it. Now I'm looking into loans. I'll keep you posted.

0 comments: