The Writerly Habit

This blog is about my struggles to get into the habit of writing regularly.

What is Creative Nonfiction?

I'm about six weeks into my creative nonfiction class and I keep getting asked "what is creative nonfiction?" I kind of felt the same way before I started the class. I figured it was all magazine articles. Not so. Creative nonfiction covers a vast amount of work. it includes biographies, memoirs, personal essays, journalism, travel writing, food criticism... You name it. Most news is creative nonfiction, some of it is pure fiction. :P

Right now I'm having a lot of fun with personal essays. They are very popular with magazines too. If you are looking for help writing one, you should pick up a copy of Courage and Craft: Writing Your Life into Story by Barbara Abercrombie. She guides you through a lot of the different types of nonfiction and supplies a lot of great writing prompts.

For years, I was writing what I thought boiled down to glorified journal entries. I love writing about my life. I have a tub full of my writing that I thought was worthless. It wasn't until I started this class that I realized I've been writing creative nonfiction all along. If I ever get to the point where I start my MFA, I think it will be in creative nonfiction. Check out the book, it'll be worth your time.

0 comments: