The Writerly Habit

This blog is about my struggles to get into the habit of writing regularly.

Writing on Demand

Now that I am back in college, I am realizing how much having a deadline helps me. For instance, I needed a piece for my Creative Nonfiction class today. I struggled with it all week but finally, last night, I churned out a draft. It ended up being really good too. Working under deadlines and pressure certainly helps me (I'm sure it could create a block for others). In my case, it would be a good idea for me to keep taking classes and workshops. This ensures a certain level of output. I wish I could be an every day writer but it just isn't working out for me. A career in journalism might be a good idea.

Something else I've learned this semester is that it is a lot easier for me to write away from home. I like coffee shops or going to eat at Chipotle by myself. It's quiet but I don't have things to distract me like housework or tv. You know how it is, you sit down to write and all the sudden you feel an overwhelming urge to clean the house.

I guess the writerly habit isn't about forcing yourself into a box. It's about finding what works best for you, your optimal conditions, and allowing yourself to work within them. I will be posting some information on creative nonfiction later this week. In the meantime, keep writing. You'll find yourself eventually.

0 comments: