The Writerly Habit

This blog is about my struggles to get into the habit of writing regularly.

Two Years and One Hundred Posts Later

KPXD3GARFXTU

Followers of the Writerly Habit know that I have struggled with writing for many years. I often say that I have low ass-to-chair ratio. Sounds silly, but it's true. I don't normally have trouble writing, my problem is sitting down to get started. Even now, after two years of whining, I still find myself surfing the web and obsessively checking Facebook and my email. I don't understand why I choose such activities over writing but I do. Maybe it is because of the emotional nature of my work. I mostly write non-fiction and it is very personal. Maybe using these websites is how I brain-drain. It might be good for me to take up fiction too and see if that helps.

I do have to say that I write a good deal more than I did in the past. At present time, I have three works out for publication and a stack of pieces waiting to be sent. I have also recognized my need for deadlines in order to complete work. For me, it takes the form of creative writing classes or workshop groups where I am expect to produce work.

I have also resigned myself to my process. Sometimes I need to surf the web or crochet while I'm working out ideas. I need a certain level of distraction. The push is no longer on daily writing, but regularly producing work. It is a slight shift but an effective one.

0 comments: